From: Eric Pirritt
Subject: [etree] STS9 - Live PA set policy...

Please be advised that STS9 (Sound Tribe Sector 9) "LIVE PA" sets are not to be allowed on sites such as Archive or eTree . The reason being that due to the nature of the performances, namely the use of sampling from other artists, STS9 cannot allow these recordings to be hosted in a public internet forum under our trading policy. We appreciate everyone's respect to this situation and are working on releasing what we legally can via STS9.com for everyone's enjoyment as soon as possible.

SET 1 of 3
House of Blues
Chicago

Sat. Feb. 11 is the most recent LIVE PA set that was performed, a last minute decision backstage, but one that came with ramifications in regards to our on-line download policy. Be in known, we are fully aware this was taped, this is simply a protection of the rights of the artists music we use to create some of the tracks performed.

...It's the 1st of 3 sets in Chicago on 2/11 [AUD tapes of material peformed later in the show, songs Arigato> Kamuy, may be traded/uploaded]...

Update, 1/13/05: By the wishes of the band, the few SBDs available must no longer be archived, nor publicly distributed by ftp or bt. Also, 5/2005 Note: 5/11/05 show was recorded/traded without permission and must not be uploaded here.

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:17:33 -0500, STS9Bob wrote:

> Ok so I need to have you remove all soundboard sourced recordings from the archive effective ASAP. We had allowed a few recordings from either partial or total soundboard sources to be included in your wonderful archive, and hope that everyone enjoys those shows as much as I do.
>
> At this time though, I must implement the wishes of the band that ALL soundboard sourced recordings (even partial) be excluded from this archive(archive.org).
>
> The band does encourage the sharing of these sources (as long as the show is/has not been sold by the band, STS9Music.com, or related companies) through traditional means, but THEY ARE NOT to be included on this archive(archive.org)... and I would (and will) ask that people not share them via public bt's or ftp's.
>
> Thank you very much.
> B. Wiely-Buckhout

On December 5, 2002, STS9 gave permission for shows to be hosted at the Archive:

Archivist Bob Wiely wrote:
Subject: Re: Permission for STS9 shows at archive.org?

As long as you are using the audience recordings you have 110% permission.

If you ever have issue from anyone reguarding the sts9 you have email me directly and I will make sure it gets dealt with!

Good luck with the site and thanks for getting the music out!

~Bob Wiely
Blue Spectral Hand
Sound Tribe Sector 9 Archive
http://www.soundtribe.org
http://www.STS9.com
http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=thatdamnguy
My IRadio Station "Moon Sockets"

Update 2/2003, Bob followed up 12/15 (missed until now!):
In the very unlikely case that something that is not supposed to be out shows up, I will let you know... otherwise its fair game!

I am going to be uploading some soundboards in the very near future, also i see you took down the indigo show, that is a sbd / aud mix done by charlie miller the archivist for garaj and its a pretty sick tape of a ok et 8), and that is ok to trade... see we police ourselves really well so the masses don't get what they are not supposed to before they are supposed to.... so what they do have is fair game!

Thanks again for the great site, and I look forward to utilizing this opportunity to the fullest.

Policy Notes
Official website for STS9 includes a "Trading Portal" messageboard with the descriptor, "Looking for some live recordings of STS9? Ask your local tapers, start free paperless trees."

Old message from Bob Wiely at http://www.solorb.com/dat-heads/digests/V6.000/D023#Msg9 says in part, "STS9 need's A few more tapers for the upcoming tour... You provide us with a copy on dat and we ask that you PLEASE circulate the music!"
ACTIVITY

Created on
May 17
2006